Well, it’s raining, drizzling to be frank, and it seems like ages since it’s actually rained. Given I have 4 beds all neatly dug, which have been drying out for a week or so, I’m thankful.
I’ve managed to get the frameworks in for all four beds this week – Mick & Keef, and Brian & Charlie. The frameworks were fun: a chance to try out long lost drilling skills ( what is the precise difference between a masonry and a wood drill bit?) and then play with my new toy, a battery powered screwdriver.
My other task for the weekend was to source lime for all the beds, and to order topsoil. My RHS should survey came back: soil is low in potassium, and pretty acidic with a pH of 5.5. Not entirely sure if I need to do this if I’m covering the beds with topsoil, but it seems a ‘belt and braces’ approach. I’ve got at least 1 bulk bag already delivered, and will order more if needed.
I decided I need to name the beds so that I can keep track of the much mooted 4 bed rotation. The Ramones would have been a better bet – but blogging about the progress that Dee Dee, Joey, Johnny and whats-his-name have made would have given away my poor rock credentials. So it’s the Stones – easier to remember, and leaves room for some changes after that difficult second album (Brian out perhaps, Ronnie & Bill in).
The plan is Spuds & Toms, Beans & Squashes, Onions / Leeks, and Brassicas. Even as I type I know my enthusiasm for growing onions / leeks etc in a separate bed is waning. I want to grow asparagus in a permanent bed. And I don’t want to dig another bed until I’ve actually harvested something. So I may use one for asparagus, and see how this year pans out by popping the onions & spring onions in opportunistically.
I’m hoping that this time next year the turf stack will be usable as compost; but I’m not convinced.
Anyway later this week I’ll finally be on the final stage of bed prep, and able to plant something: the asparagus crowns probably.
Onward and upwards!