And last week was very busy catching up with old friends. So, progress report:
Brian the brassica bed is planted and looking good. Two rows of Kale (one is Cavolo de Nero) which I’m looking forward to immensely, 1 row of cauliflower, 1 of Purple Sproating Broccoli, and a row of spring onions. Lifted out of the seed trays, and popped in with plenty of water. These have all been germinated in the mini greenhouse first.
Frankly I’m beginning to think this is the best idea, because I am struggling to spot the seedlings amongst the weedlings in the asparagus bed (Charlie).
Spot the carrot seedling! I can see fat hen, clover, and groundsel, but no sign at all of the parsnips, and only a very limited glimpse of something that might be a carrot seedling or two. So Mick got a thorough weeding.
Weather has been only sort of kind, wet and warm, but extremely windy. Good job the sweet corn is not that tall yet, and the bean support has survived thankfully.
Tasks for what is left of this week are to pop some more lettuce and rocket to infill Charlie the asparagus bed, start some more brassicas off, to follow the first batch, and to plant the butter nut squash seedling that are looking pretty healthy. Any views anyone on how soon I should be. Taking a look under the spuds for signs of tubers? They look promising; should I be waiting for flowers?
I can confirm the beans inside were very small, but tasty! So pretty impressed by that.
I’ve installed a 100l water butt; however the tap is busted. As a result I’ve had to rig up a temporary bung for the tap-hole using an old wine cork. Strangely I seem to have a reasonable number lying around. You may recall that ever since I bought the hose the rain has been much more prolific. So I anticipate that actually getting a water butt probably means I should move onto digging out paddy fields.
Today’s tasks have been: sowing brassica’s to fill Brian with more green stuff than I suspect he ever actually ate. That means sowing purple sprouting broccoli, kale, cavolo de nero, and cauliflower into half seed trays and popping into the plastic greenhouse to get them going as strongly as possible. And providing support to the asparagus, which wasn’t enjoying the delightful May breezes, alongside siting the water butt.
As for Mick, well, the spuds are looking very perky; so I’ve started to earth up (mound earth round the base of the plant). They are too tiny at this point to really need it, but it’s supposed to protect the new tubers from the light (which makes them green), and helps with warmth and moisture (moisture trickles into the rows that you make to water the tubers, the steeper sides of the mounds capture the sun’s warmth better). May just be to make the firtling easier when you come to harvest!